Caregiving is a 24-hour a day job. Everything from managing prescriptions, home healthcare supplies and the day-to-day needs of a loved one can take a toll on a caregiver. In addition, many caregivers have full time jobs of their own. Due to the demands and pressure of caregiving, it’s important that caregivers know the best way to manage their stress.
On our mission to provide you the best home healthcare supplies and a simplified caregiving community, we’ve compiled some tips to reduce stress for caregivers.
- Exercise: Physical activity is a proven method for stress relief and also benefits your personal health. There are many forms of exercise that are specifically for stress management, like yoga or tai-chi.
- Meditate: Allowing yourself a moment of “silence”, during activities like meditation will allow to you relax and regroup. Meditation can be as short as just a few moments, or can last as long as you see fit.
- Ask for help: According to a study from Caregivingstress.com, 72% of caregivers perform their daily duties without any outside help. Caregivers need to know that they are not alone. It is perfectly ok to ask for assistance. Whether you reach out to another family member or friends, or seek support and advice from others in a similar position, asking for help will help relieve stress! You may be surprised how many people are willing and able to help. Even a simple task, like having someone pick up your home healthcare supplies, will decrease your stress.
- Take a break: Don’t forget to make time for yourself. Like any job, you need a break from caregiving. Find someone else to fill-in for you, even if it’s only for a few hours a week. It will certainly decrease your stress level.
- Don’t forget about yourself! Eat well, keep up with all of your own medical appointments and indulge in something for yourself every once in a while. You can’t give your best to the one you’re caring for unless you’re at your best!
EasierLiving.com, an AfterFiftyLiving partner, is committed to its “simplified caregiving” mission and offers over 6,000 caregiver supplies and products in addition to valuable resources and information. AFL members receive a 10% discount when using the AFLVIP Promo Code when ordering!