Since James Buchanan’s inauguration in 1857, the first on record to be photographed, there have been countless photo opportunities and captured moments from the swearing-in ceremonies to the many balls and events presidents attend over the course of an inauguration weekend.
The inauguration signifies the passing of power from one president to the next but style has been another facet of each inauguration since that first photo of James Buchanan in 1857.
Here’s some of the best historical photos of inaugural fashion, from giant gowns to flapper coats and everything in between.
- Mary Todd Lincoln dressed for Abraham Lincoln’s inauguration on March 4, 1861
- Chief Justice Fred Vinson (L) autographing for Shirley Temple (R) at the Presidential Inauguration of Harry S. Truman on Jan. 20, 1949
- Mrs. Dwight D. Eisenhower attaching an orchid to her dress in preparation for the inaugural ceremonies for her husband on Jan. 20, 1953
- Jacqueline Kennedy and her husband, newly elected President John F. Kennedy, on the day of his Inauguration on Jan. 20, 1961
- Frank Sinatra escorting Jacqueline Kennedy to her box at a gala, held at the National Guard Armory in Washington DC, the night before the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy, on Jan. 19, 1961