Meet our Committee – sharing about REAL LIFE and Aging

AFL Home Forums Aging Matters Meet our Committee – sharing about REAL LIFE and Aging

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jo-Anne
    Keymaster

Meet donna0627.

Donna Ryan

Her AFL article, “Every Yes Counts” sums up a simply inspiring philosophy: you get further with the word yes than no. Says she: “You’ll never know what your capable of if you do not try.” Yeah – EVEN after 50… . See her article here

Jo-Anne
    Keymaster

Meet NTurchon. Here’s her thoughts – and you’ll LOVE ’em!

Nina

“Quick history, I was married to a wonderful man and had a blessed life together for 30 years and then God needed him more and took him unexpectedly at age 51 but he left me with the will to still enjoy life and to support a family, friends, and fitness I have continued on!

My life now is very full! I work three part-time jobs; crossing guard, membership sales and customer service rep for a fitness facility, and a project leader for the parks and recreation department. I work out every day for 60 minutes doing floor exercises, cardio or strength training. But still find time to watch my favorite football game with my Sons on Sunday, do things with my grandchildren, drink wine with my friends, but most importantly I am blessed to talk to my 82-year-old man every day…

So yes, I am busy but, life’s journey is to enjoy every day to its fullest and believe me, I do!

And by the way I’m turning 60 in February and I’m 4 foot 8 1/2 inches tall and just under 90 pounds but it’s not stopping me from doing anything except maybe reaching the top shelf but that’s what tall people are for!😃

Life’s Journey is to enjoy everyday to it’s Fullest!”

Jo-Anne
    Keymaster

Meet Ely Lazar (Passionate Retirees). Here’s his thoughts about POSITIVE aging:
    Ely Lazar - Passionate Retirees

“If I had my way, the word, “aging” would be taken out of our vocabulary. You see, what you focus on you tend to become. I see too many over 60’s who suffer from self-imposed ageism. They think this way and their physiology reflects it both in their appearance and demeanor. As Mahatma Gandhi stated, ‘You must be the change you wish to see in the world.’ How can we alter the perception of others––notably the younger generation––if we have a negative self-image ourselves.

Perhaps I am just fortunate. I have a fantastic passionate relationship; I swim, cycle, ski, hike, travel, write and get to inspire people through my workshops and other presentations. I think this is the greatest time in life and I see others who share that belief.”

Jo-Anne
    Keymaster

Meet Dannagrace. Her thoughts on aging will inspire and energize you! Thanks for sharing, Danna!

Danna

“Ageism is all in your head:

As persons growing up in the boomer generation (after war babies, the advent of suburbia with its synchronized lifestyle, and all else that it entailed), we might find ourselves caught up in a classed society — not in an old European sense, but nevertheless, a classed society.
    When the new phenomenon, “retirement”, liberated us from our life’s toil, we gleefully took advantage of that. Deciding we had done our share, we sat back on our laurels, thus, establishing a mindset, not only in our own minds, but in the minds of other generations as well.

Branding ourselves as “different” and therefore not a part of general population, we have positioned ourselves in our own families as well as in society, not generally as productive citizens, but as unpaid “odd-jobbers”, and special needs family members (tolerated at the great party we call life, but not entirely welcome).

We have accepted this powerless position of senior citizen and, for all practical purposes, have willingly become beggars for handouts; a “special” minority worthy of preferential treatment and accepter of pre-arranged discounts and freebies offered in large part out of pity or duty; unpaid family servants and baby sitters. We have accepted the handouts and have allowed our “leaders” to whine and demand more in our name.

The society we live in and the world in general will again consider us an equal and treat us with genuine respect and camaraderie only when we change our own vision of ourselves – the vision that we are different somehow. Then we will regain our self-image and our real identity within the family, our social group and the community.

Jo-Anne
    Keymaster

Meet Jo-Anne. She’s AFL’s founder and she’s absolutely energized by the purpose of the Aging Matters project. Here’s a LIFE LESSON she’d like to share with us all.

Jo-Anne

I had been married for about 6 months when I learned that we were expecting our first child. I was barely 24, and while I was ecstatic on the one hand, I was a bit overwhelmed. Bringing a child into this world? It had to be life’s greatest challenge. I didn’t want to screw this up. And I asked myself: what is the single most important thing I can do for this child. My decision? To instill a sense of self-confidence. I believed by having faith in one’s own inner compass, mountains could be conquered. But, how to do that, instill that self-confidence? My answer had two components. One would be to provide opportunities to experience life and to test it. Figure out for oneself what works and what doesn’t. The other component? Provide an environment in which a failure was not a door closing, but rather a window opening – to new learning. It’s a pretty cool philosophy – and it helped both me and my husband to raise some pretty cool kids. But child-rearing wasn’t the only place where this philosophy could flourish. In the world of work, as I navigated into management, I discovered that the greatest long-term successes came when this philosophy was applied. We don’t live in isolation – and you don’t succeed by yourself. “Helping people” be confident in their own ability to be successful was always a win-win. Just saying!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Password

Register

Like Our Page!

Receive our updates via Facebook!