For many people getting older can feel like a major struggle. Acceptance and enjoyment of the aging process is a terrible hysteria just waiting to burst out. Here are 5 big mistakes people make after 50, and how to avoid them.
5) You Can’t Keep Competing With Your Younger Self Forever. Pursuing an unattainable goal can be an exercise in unnecessary frustration at best; at worst, it can trigger psychological distress. Few people look as attractive in middle age as they did in their younger years and you can not recreate the body and face you had decades ago. You can still look great and more importantly stay as healthy as you can.
4) The gym is only for the young…Yes, we know it is not always easy! We don’t stop moving because we grow old, we grow old because we stop moving. Exercising on a regular basis can actually relieve pain, and stave off health problems in coming years, such as creeping weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, or dementia. The real danger to your health is not exercising at all. If you can manage a marathon that is great. If not, now is the time to check out the gym pool, start taking yoga, or fall in love with power walking.
3) Ignoring your dental health. Dental health is closely linked with overall health, and gum disease, which gets more common as you age—has been associated with a higher risk of heart problems. One thing that can make you appear older is yellowing teeth, but it is about more than just looks. So don’t skip those visits to the dentist. The good news is that older American are keeping their teeth longer than ever before and the average number of teeth people retain into old age is increasing.
2) Not getting enough sleep.Gone are the days when you could stay up all night and still make it to work with a glowing complexion and a spring in your step.
The fact is, you may have heard a “you look tired” comment even after a good night’s sleep. While it may be tempting to shortchange sleep, particularly if you’re juggling parent- and child-care duties, this may be one more thing you need to change. Fewer hours of sleep are more likely to show up on your face, true. But it’s also linked to a greater risk of diabetes and other health problems, which become even more important as you age.
1) Past 50 And Still Having Sex? The fact is that anyone in good health, and someone who isn’t, can continue to have sexual relationships well into the later years. You should have the confidence to explore your sexual needs as well. Men and Women over 50 can have the best sex of their lives. For many women, it’s the first time they are having sex for fun and enjoyment, not for a result (children). There seems to be no age limit to people’s interest in sex or even their ability to have some form of sexual expression. A recent study by NSHAP showed that people as old as 85 years are having sex with at least one partner, and in a variety of ways. You can’t help getting older, but you don’t have to get old.